"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about!"

Monday, August 29, 2011

A New School Year is Under Way!

The school year creeps up on me every August and my kids don't haven't even started actual grade school yet but we do start a new routine at daycare that is considered a school year so a new year is under way - just like the big kids!

Caden and Maggie have transitioned to the 3/4's classroom and are enjoying their new teachers Ms. Lauren and Ms. Nicole.   They are continuing to work on their letters and numbers.  They are learning lower case now along with reviewing upper case letters.  They are tracing their names that has led to them being able to write them - well Maggie can anyways.  Art is a favorite for both and they could not have more different approaches to coloring, Caden colors heavy and fills the picture; Maggie is lighter, dainty and likes less choice of color but has an order to the lack of color.  Just tonight when I walked in Caden was doing "homework" - seriously they had to finish coloring a picture for school - I could not believe it!  Both kids are excited that their friends transitioned with them and they are enjoying their class.  I think they will learn a ton and I cannot wait to see what the year will bring.

Mallory and Cale have also transitioned to their new classroom as well and are in Toddler B - really TODDLERS YIKES!  They are enjoying their new teacher Ms. Courtney and love that Ms. Rachel moved over with them.   They love music time!  These two are even doing art - really they have done art and do great when they do not try to eat the crayons.  They have a schedule to follow of school day schedule, which amazes me and I wasn't sure how it would really work but tonight when I walked in to pick them up there were 7 toddlers (age 12-18 months) sitting completely still while Ms. Courtney read a story - I just could not believe it.  I can't get 4 kids to sit still much less 7 of that age.  I was impressed and now believe that they too are getting a lot out of their class.  They are loving their new friends, enjoying being with some older kids and really are doing great. 

I think what has hit me harder this year is not my own kids and their progression but the progression of Matt's cousins who were all so young when I started dating Matt - 11 years ago.  Kelsie is a SENIOR, Brady and Kasey are freshmen, Drew is in 8th grade, Mason in 7th - really these kids were so young when I first came around, heck Kasey was our flower girl, and now they are becoming grown teenagers!  Kasey made it very apparent that she was a freshman when she asked if that meant she is finally in the adult name drawing for the gag gift party, you have to be a freshman to get in, and as Matt said yes it hit me how old I am getting and how long I have had the privilege to be a part of this amazing family. 
They aren't the only ones - Connor, Spencer and Natalie are growing before my eyes and I just cannot believe it.  I mean I changed Spencer's diaper and remembering holding Connor at my first family function - the annual gag gift party.  It seems like just yesterday Natalie was starting kindergarten now, second grade already!  Really time is flying by for them all. 

To all of my family and friends who are teachers, you are doing an amazing job that not many could do - I wish you luck this year with your classes.  Please know that this parent I am extremely grateful for the job you do and hope you continue to do it because you love it!

To all of those kids who are growing too fast, including my own, I wish that you all continue to grow into amazing young adults and remember that you are very loved by your family, we are always here for you. 
My advice is to keep learning kiddos as I believe learning truly is just one amazing gift we have been given the chance to experience!
I love you all and cannot wait to see what the year holds. 



No comments:

Post a Comment