"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about!"

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Conversations with two, two year olds

This note goes back to mid - April.  I jotted this down after a morning car ride with Cale and Mallory to daycare.  I realized the other day I have a lot of notes written about what they have said along their journey of learning to talk in sentences but had not yet taken the time to put them out here.  I am very grateful that during a Bengals game tailgate a long time ago, someone told me to write down these conversations with my kids, they make me chuckle and bring me back to the reality and what is important many times.

So here it goes a conversation with two stubborn 2 year olds on the way to school at about 6:45 AM

Mallory, "I don’t like you Cale"  for no good reason other than maybe her baby brother (by two minutes) was picking on her about something.  Unfortunately the exact nature of what I cannot remember.
My response, "Not true Mallory you love him, he is your brother"
Mallory, “I don’t want him to be my brother”
Trying to be the good mom I respond, "That isn’t very nice – you are his sister and he loves you"
She then adamantly responds, "I am not his brother" well no sweetie you are not his brother but you are his sister and we do not get to pick our family is what I am thinking.
Cale jumps in and replies, "I am not a brother, I am your Buster" (Buster because Maggie and I often call him our Buster)
Mallory then replies, "No you Calebert"
Cale then argues, "I not Calebert Mal, you are" I love how he calls his sister, "Mal"
Her response, "No I am not, I am Pickles" which is what we call her thanks to her daddy.
Cale then says, "Oh that is disgusting.  Pickles are disgusting"  which just made me laugh because I had never heard him say disgusting before and it seemed like such a large word for him but was used correctly so yes I was proud.
Mallory getting mad and defensive at this point says, "No mommy tell him, I am pickles and he is not a buster" 
And then we arrive at school and change directions of our conversation!
Just an early morning argument on whether or not we are brother and sister, who has what nicknames and whether or not pickles are disgusting! 
Oh I love these kids and our early morning conversations.  I am grateful for the 5 minutes of time today to get this out here because in just 5 short days I will not be able to say, "conversations with a two year old" sniff they will be 3!


No comments:

Post a Comment