"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about!"

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Learning to Jump

If you have never stopped and watch a child who is learning to jump, you should, it will teach you a lot about life.  Cale and Mallory are both learning to jump in the physical sense but what they do not know is that they are learning more than just being able to jump and their determination to accomplish this jump is teaching me so much more about them and myself. 

Sheer determination - that is what you get when you ask them to jump.  You get lots of giggles, lots of stomps and lots of tries but no one can yet get off the ground.  I know that one day this determination will lead them to getting their feet truly off the ground, but until then I will watch them trying and just think about this small task as I tackle things that I may not always think I can do and just remember that eventually I too can learn to jump once again.

My children never stop amazing me, each day that I am privileged to be their mommy is a blessing, a lesson and an absolute joy.  Not every minute is beautiful or easy but is that not why we need to learn to jump? 

So the next time you think that you cannot do something remember that you to had to learn to jump at some point.  You may not be able to jump the highest but you can jump, and you got there through sheer determination and continued tries.  This is a lesson that we often forget and one that I hope my children never let slip. 

Cale and Mallory, these jumps will come before I know it and truly before I am ready but I am proud of you.  You try so hard and get closer and closer everyday.  No one will ever tell you that you cannot jump off the ground so as life gets harder and things seem to be the impossible, remember that you have learned to jump before and you can learn to jump over whatever lands in your way.

If you have ever tried to capture a child learning to jump on film you will know it is not easy.  Maybe tomorrow I will figure out how to put the video out here!


Cale determined and Mallory cheering him on!

No comments:

Post a Comment