"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about!"

Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Skiing They Went!

Matt has hoped and talked about the day when he could take his kids skiing, after all he was once ranked 7th in the state for skiing (see honey I listen) and has the poster to prove it, well that day came yesterday.  Caden and Maggie went skiing and they LOVED it! 

Excitement of getting our boots!

The cheering section
If you know my kids well, you will know that this was easy for Maggie, she will try anything at least once and truly has no fear.  She talks about going skiing every time we pass Perfects on the way to Memaw and Papaw's house.  As we drove out to the slopes yesterday she says, "I am excited to ski but I don't know how to ski.  How will I learn to go up the hill then down the hill?"  I explained to her that she was going to ski school and that they will teach her.  I proceeded to tell her that daddy had to learn one day and so did mommy, her reply, "you don't ski mommy." Well Maggie I can say I have been down a black diamond in Colorado - not gracefully but I made it down.  No I am not the best skier but I can do it and I secretly do enjoy it!  She was ready to go and was taking her lesson seriously and could not wait to actually go up the hill and down the hill! 
Ski School!


For Caden, this was a huge accomplishment and just another showing of how much he is growing up - Papaw Chris cannot call him a wussy anymore after this day!  He is the cautious kid who is always looking over this shoulder to make sure you are watching him and that he is not alone.  He is continuously processing things, on the way to the slopes he asked Matt how they could go skiing if there wasn't any snow?  He is the kid who will say that he wants to try something then back out at the last minute.  Not on skiing day - there was a crying moment as he went faster down the hill by himself but daddy came to the rescue and all was good.  The thing I love the most is not how proud I am of him but how proud he is of himself for skiing as he says,"all by myself."   Caden my buddy, you learned to jump today! 
Getting our skis on!

Our skis are on!

And we are moving


Up goes Caden

Up the hill goes Maggie and their instructor

Waiting to go down

You can see the fear on Caden's face!


The "run" that caused the crying!

Daddy to the rescue

Maggie coming down the hill that she went up!

Cale and Mallory came along - I believe Cale would have went if we put skis on him, he is the most daring out of the four kids.  Mallory was content to watch all of the skiers and just was excited to get herself dressed in her hat and gloves! 
Wondering why we were here...

Patiently waiting.....

Me and My little troopers who were hungry and tired

Mallory trying to put her gloves back on

A huge thank you to Memaw Donna for coming to watch this and for bringing along your awesome camera! 
A big thank you to the Gordon boys for hanging onto the cold weather gear to outfit Caden!
The BIGGEST thank you to Kyle at Perfects and the Perfect family - Kyle was their ski instructor and did GREAT with them and the Perfect family has done a great job of creating a kid learning center that was perfect for the little ones!  You all know how to make people want to come back. 

Caden and Maggie are already talking about when we can go back and I think that their Christmas list for next year just got easier!  And for us - we just found out that 2 of the 4 kids are in for a Colorado vacation sometime in the future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment