"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about!"

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Middle of the night snuggles

Last Friday I was talking with my friend Megan about being exhausted from being up with the little ones in the middle of the night.  She has a beautiful 3 month old daughter who decided Thursday night was party night for her and mom, Megan even had coffee on Friday - she NEVER drinks caffeine so you know it was a rough one.
Well as we were writing back and forth during the day I told her to cherish those middle of the night moments with Miss Abby because they are gone before you know it and even though they are tough you can survive through them but to enjoy the time with her.
I actually made the comment that I miss those middle of the night snuggles with the little one who just needs a bit more of mommy time.  Those moments when all is quiet in the world and it is just you and this amazing little creature.  Those are wonderful moments and are gone oh so quick.  I don't miss the exhaustion but when you are in what I call "baby mode" you train your body to operate on less sleep and to be able to handle the middle of the night snuggles the next day.  Once you are out of that practice it is definitely harder to do when they come unexpectedly.

Boy did I ask for it....
Our little pickles, Miss Mallory, was not feeling well Monday night.  She has a horrible cold and cannot breathe very well.  She went to bed like any other night but woke up about 11:00 and for the first hour of her being up I got my snuggles and quiet time with my little one.  It was perfect, I sat with her rocking and just enjoying her needing mom a little longer that night.  I sat and thought about the email exchange with Megan and how much I truly do miss those moments of quiet snuggles and just holding your baby.  Then it amazed me how big she is getting and how hard it was to hold her unless she is curled into a little ball. However, that moment of enjoyment passed once she did not go back to sleep until 2:30 AM.  I know she was excited about Valentine's Day but to be up to bring it in at midnight is a little obsessive if you ask me!  So we walked and rocked and tried to lay down in the bed and on the couch, we tried to get daddy to put her asleep but no she just wanted mommy so back to the couch we went and FINALLY she got to the point of comfortable and went back to sleep.  I on the other hand got approximately 2 hours of sleep - if you call sitting on the couch with one leg making sure she doesn't fall and the other on the floor so you don't fall sleeping then I got 2 hours!

I felt bad for my little gal - she was miserable but she is doing better now and mommy is still catching up on sleep.
I do miss those moments and I know that she wanted mommy when she was sick so I try to remind myself that I can catch up on my sleep much later in life. Right now, I am cherishing those moments of the quiet time with her.  I know that Mallory had no idea how much I missed them, and now that I am not so tired, I am grateful and have a smile that goes with my quiet memory of rocking and holding.
But Miss Mallory Lynne, let's not make it a habit.  You are a cute little character but let's enjoy those moments on more normal hours. 

Just a little funny note to record for Mallory, Monday night after bathes Matt asked her if she wanted to come downstairs to get some milk.  Her reply as she sticks out her hand of chubby little fingers, "I'm fine" JUST LIKE HER BROTHER CADEN! She is his mini me for sure!  Matt about fell down the stairs when she looked at him and did that - another fine kid and many laughs for us!  I know Mallory will not ever get the true humor behind her action but we are giggling about it, she said it just like Caden used to and with the attitude of no worries.  Too Cute as my mom would say!

No comments:

Post a Comment