"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about!"

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Remebering to BREATHE!

I am finally finishing an entry that I started back on August 29th, 2011 - almost a year ago but anyways here it goes.

These 3 words were the pieces of advice that I received from a former boss when I received my promotion - that occurred almost a year ago - and have been the words that I have to remind myself of everyday in this crazy busy world in which I am running around.  It was these and "good luck" that I was given, I have not relied much on the luck, well maybe I have but it is the remembering to breathe part that are the precious words to me.

This week, I definitely needed those words of advice.  Started off heading to Omaha, stayed there Monday night, all day meeting Tuesday, plane to Naperville, spent the night there, all day meeting Wednesday, delays to get out of O'Hara and finally puling into the driveway at 11:50 last night, all the while I was coming down with strep throat!  Really - could it be any harder to be away from my family and trying to cram everything I needed to remember into my brain?  Why is it that every summer I come down with strep throat at least once?  After a trip to the doctor and a nice painful shot of medicine in the hiney I am on my way to recovering, which I need to do quickly as we have birthdays to celebrate this weekend!   The cool thing was I finally got to fly on the company jet - very nice way to travel if I do say so myself!

So remembering to breathe, it means many things at many different times in my life but they are the words that remind me to put things in perspective.  This week has been hard, personally and at work, I never feel like I am doing enough of either or doing either really well.  I know I cannot do it all and it will never be perfect but I have always pushed myself to do more and to do it better so I do not know how to slow down that is until I get sick and I am forced to catch up on sleep for me and to slow down.  Not an ideal way to remember to do this but it has been this way since I was in middle school.

I have learned A LOT in a year, I have grown as a person (at least I think so), I have faced things I never imagined possible and I have watched my children continue to grow way too fast for me!  I have leaned on those who are friends and family more than I ever thought I would but I could have never done a lot of things without them all!  I have asked for many prayers and I have offered many prayers, all along remembering to breathe.

Yesterday I got the chance to sit down the with person who told me these three words, I am very thankful for that time, to make sure I am on track to do my job well.  For the additional advice of continuing to get better at this job and for once more reminding me, I do not have to have all of the answers! 

Remembering to breathe, three simple words with a lot of meaning.  Just long enough for us to take a quick time out to allow us to get focused on what is important.  Three words that I believe I will continue to use for many years to come. 

It is all about perspective, remembering what is important and prioritizing when you cannot possible do it all.  Remembering to breathe, possible the best piece of advice I have ever received and one I have learned a ton from at many different times.  I am very thankful for those words!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment