"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about!"

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

He will still hold my hand....

Today something happened that moved me to tears, Caden reached for and held my hand.  I know may not seem like much to most moms but this is my kid who will not give me a kiss, will run away most mornings with out a hug and very rarely will hold my hand anymore.  He is 7 yet becoming a strong young man.  He still shows signs of being my baby when he wants to snuggle and not sit alone but today he made this momma cry happy tears.

I had the amazing opportunity to join him on his field trip to the Taft Theater.  We saw the Snow Queen, such a great show and I am so excited that he and his sister want to go see more plays.  I love that they love culture!  As I we were entering the building I was helping to get lunches off the bus and my 5 kids went ahead and into the building as we were running a bit behind schedule.  I did what needed to be done to help out and then hurried to my seat, which my little man saved for me right beside him.   A smile hit my face, he did not want the other kids to move down so I could just sit down, I had to climb over 4 of them to get next to him.  The show started, the kids settled which was pretty amazing being that many of them had never set through a play or anything like that.  As we were watching the show I was watching Caden and his reactions, like all moms do and then he grabbed my hand and did not let go for half of the show.  So here I was sitting in this amazing production with tears running down my face all because I thought he was past the point of holding my hand.

This all may seem silly for many reasons but what I know is that I do not get enough one on one time with my kids so for this to happen today and for me to be able to spend the majority of the day with just Caden was awesome.  My heart is full, I believe we are doing something right in raising him and I am so, so proud of him.  Caden tends to choose time with Daddy or Papaw or Memaw before mommy so I never even told him I signed up to go with him.  I did learn today that he was shocked when his teacher read the names of the chaperons so I knew this was going to be a good day.  I had to handle how his twin would react to me not being in her class but I am proud of her too, she did great.  I am very thankful for her teacher, she understood how we could make today work (she too is an amazing twin mom!) and she filled in for me when Maggie needed some help today.   I am extremely grateful for a new role that still allows me to be mom, more on that role and the next chapter later.

Today, well it was pretty great and now I am sitting at the table recording this moment while I listen to Caden tell his brother that I watched Rudolph the night he was born while I laid in the hospital, which is true but little did we know while I watched that they would be born 2.5 hours later!    It is days like today especially during the busy holiday season that I am glad I am trying not to care about what needs to be done or the messy house or the gifts that are not bought.
I was there, being present and he gave me one of the best gifts ever - he held my hand.  He was a great date today and I am blessed to be his momma.

Caden Joseph, if you read this when you are older, which I hope you do, please know I love you, I am proud of you and I thank you for the gift of today!

Caden and I at the Krohn Conservatory

Caden with the all natural tree!

He likes palm trees with lights!



No comments:

Post a Comment