"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about!"

Monday, November 12, 2012

The Last of our "First"

Let's rewind back to October 18th - that was the beginning of the last of our first or maybe not truly but it was a moment that made me stop and think of all of our "first".  It was Mallory's first haircut and it made me realize that our "first" as them being little ones are just about over.  She is my last one to get her first haircut.  I know there will be other first in their lifetimes and I cannot wait to experience those with them all but this first really made me stop and think about how much my babies are growing up.  

Their first time they smile, roll over, sit, crawl, walk, talk, laugh, run and so much more - we spend their first two years just waiting for them to learn so much this moment felt like the last of those little years.  My father in law likes to say, "you spend the first two years waiting and willing for them to walk and talk, you spend the next sixteen telling them to sit down and shut up!"

A big thank you once again to my friend Cherie she has cut each child's hair for me for their first and so carefully saved some locks and their curls.  Mallory probably could have waited another 6 weeks or so for her first haircut but this big girl was ready, she climbed up in that seat and was bound and determined to be like her brothers and sister so we decided it was time for her first haircut!


Patiently waiting and being such a big girl
The first cut



Getting a little style

And our finshed hair do with Miss Cherie!
She now has a very cute cut with a little style and as a result we can see some more curls now - no more tail for Mallory.  It was a small trim really but the last of the first of their little people years.  Being my last one to get her first haircut, it really made me stop and think about all of the "first" events in our lives.

Now it is time for the "first" of being big kids and while I am looking forward to what those years bring I am sad, my babies are growing up. 
The next "first" we will experience are the ones that seem bigger in impact but I guess what I really know is that these "first" are flying by and all too soon they will be packing up and heading to college, this momma is not ready for any of that but I am sure enjoying the ride for now. 
Slow down and savor the "first", record them all and smile when you look back!

No comments:

Post a Comment