"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about!"

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I may not be a seamstress...

But I am a mom with a sewing machine, a little bit of ability and a lot of creativity!

Miss Maggie received some wonderful dress up outfits for Christmas that she wears almost daily.  So much so that her "Sleeping Beauty" dress, this is a purple dress which she has deemed her Sleeping Beauty dress, was in shreds last night.  She suggested many things to fix her dress, my favorite was a Band-Aid, she said "I'll be right back mommy, I will get a Band-Aid and make my dress all better!"  God I love that kid and her attitude of  "let's do".  She is a resourceful little devil. 

After what seemed like a million times of her asking and me trying to convince her that the repairs needed to  to wait I finally caved and pulled out the sewing machine.  Doing that with two 3 year old toddlers is a chore enough much less trying to sew!

But boy was that dress a mess, the skirt was coming all of the way off, the strap was ripped and all of her pretty streamers were falling off but I was determined to do my best to fix it.  It is these moments when I sure do miss Grandma Potter, that lady was amazing with a sewing machine.  While I do have her machine, I do not have any where near her ability to create and sew.   But because I am a mom with a little girl who has a HUGE imagination, I did my best. 

So the purple dress or excuse me "Sleeping Beauty" dress is repaired.  I would not suggest looking at the quality of my craftsmanship underneath! I am pretty sure Ms. Synder, my junior high home ec teacher, would be appaled by my attempt, but just tell Maggie how beautiful she looks in her dress.  She even paid  me $1 for fixing her dress, it was my gift certificate she gave me then took back for herself, again being resourceful.  Now I would call that a deal for her! 

As I sit here and think about this task and the moments it brought me with Maggie, I truly realize what that dress in shreds is all about.   
I could care less what the sewing looks like underneath, on top it is back to it's wearing and dancing form, and that is all that really matters, that and the fact that it brought a smile and a kiss from one of my favorite little people!

To my Maggie, mommy will always try to repair your dresses, as long as you keep dreaming big my little Sleeping Beauty!


Maggie showing off her dress at it's prime! 
Christmas time at Memaw Donna's and Papaw Chris's! 


No comments:

Post a Comment