"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about!"

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Creating Memories and Family Traditions!

A few of the reasons I absolutely LOVE the holidays is family time, creating memories and traditions!

Last week (Friday the 17th) we got to do all 3 of these things in an afternoon spent baking with Memaw Donna and I just smile when I think back to all of our fun.

The toddler twins and I headed out to Memaw's early afternoon to begin baking.  Our goal was Mrs.Kraus's cookies, snicker doodles for daddy and Oreo bites!  A lofty goal with two 3 year olds "helping" but I was more worried about the fun and tradition of learning to make Mrs. Kraus's cookies.

So we started off a bit slow, but we got there.  Two batches of Mrs. Kraus's cookies, and I have to tell you why the are called Mrs. Kraus's cookies when they are really sugar cookies - the best tasting sugar cookies I have ever had!
As I was growing up I remember going to Grandma Horstman's to bake for the holidays, I can't tell you exactly when I first remember baking but there is a lot of wonderful memories of being in the kitchen and helping out.   I remember about 10 years ago we had our cousin John there helping out too - he was 5ish - and mom (memaw Donna) thought it would be a great idea for him to sit on a stool, at the lit gas stove, and dip the buckeye balls.  Boy did she take criticism for that one, a little guy by the stove dipping into hot melted chocolate, BRILLIANT! 
However, I have digressed, Mrs. Kraus's cookies...

They are called that because Mrs. Kraus lived two doors down from Grandma Horstman and made delicious cookies.  Grandma had the ingredients list and directions but not the measurements - she set out to figure it out and finally nailed it!  Now we have this delicious recipe to share.  Originally Grandma only made these cookies at Christmas but I have convinced my mom to make them for any occasion, Easter, baby showers, bridal showers, because Erica is coming home - whatever a reason to celebrate and get together we always have to have these delicious cookies. 

A tradition that Matthew started years ago when we were dating was to have mom make him an Easter bunny at Christmas, sad to say the Easter bunny never got made this year - Maggie kept mom too busy to remember - but he did get his favorite cookie snicker doodles, we will pick up the Easter bunny tradition again next year!

I just loved when it was time to roll the dough, mom pulled out Grandma Horstman's one handled rolling pin (the other handle broke off) and Maggie says, "that one is broken Memaw, you need a new one!"  We tried to tell Maggie that you HAVE to use the "broken one" for these cookies, but she is a little young to understand.  I am sure Grandma Horstman was smiling down on us this day.

Our cookies, in the words of Maggie, turned out DELICIOUS!  We were all exhausted, but enjoyed the afternoon/evening and a yummy dinner together.  We even had Matt icing cookies so we could get finished and get home! 






However, before I could part for the day I had to make the new ornaments for the tree.  I can't remember how many years ago - maybe 10ish - we gave everyone in our family an ornament on the tree.  Little did I know when we started this tradition was how many we would be adding in the coming years!  Each year for the past 3 I have done at least 4!  You can only imagine how this tree looks in person - we are quite full!  Not only do we see all of our family members represented but we get to remember those who are no longer with us and can celebrate what they brought to our lives.  Each person who marries a family member gets their ornament after the wedding and each baby that is born within the year gets their ornament that year as well.  I was excited to add Mallory and Cale's along with Baby Ryan and Kevin's wife Diana.  We have learned that next year maybe a record year for ornament additions - 4 weddings and 2 babies - that we know of so far!  I can't wait.  I love this tradition and hope we can always find the colors we need, mom stocked up but I don't think we have enough to last!  I have started my own family tradition, each Christmas my little family (the 6 Cools) will take a picture in front of this tree, we did this the first year Caden and Maggie were here and I want to continue through the years.  I just love it!  And Rocky looks great hanging next to the tree. 




I love this tree and all it represents - it is the Horstmans, one very close family, who would do anything for each other, and who is never to far or busy to help each other out!  I wouldn't trade them for the world and feel very blessed to be a part of this wonderful, wonderful and amazing family.

Wow, this has been a long one post, but a great one full of memories- this was on of the BEST DAYS EVER - I already can't wait for next year. 

I love sharing those times with my mom and kids, I can't wait until the baby twins are old enough next year to join us. 
I am going to do my best to keep mom from letting them dip the buckeye balls though! 
I think she has learned her lesson.

1 comment:

  1. Trina, you and your family continue to amaze me. Thanks for sharing your Best Day Ever! Barbara Lies

    ReplyDelete