"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about!"

Friday, September 10, 2010

A Friday night change of plans!

I have to share that I had an amazing Friday night change of plans. 
My original plans were to pick the kids up from daycare, get some dinner for them and then head out to find some work clothes for myself.  Well that all changed and it was definitely something I am glad I did not miss.

We have been finishing the basement since before I had the babies and in the last couple of weeks Matt and Grandpa Potter have been working hard on getting the dry wall hung.  My uncle David has been helping us out on the finishing of the dry wall and showed up this afternoon to do some more work.  So knowing that I couldn't leave when we REALLY need to get this basement done I was upstairs with all four kids while Matthew and my uncle David were hard at work downstairs.

Here is what I was able to witness and be a part of:
  • Maggie having a dance party!  She watches a show called the Fresh Beat Band on Nick Jr. and dances around the living room.  Of course we had to wear the blue dress to do so.
  • Caden playing the drums - this was loud but he had a great time.
  • Many smiles from Mallory and Cale.
  • Caden and Maggie practicing their sharing skills with the drums and saying to each other "now it is your turn".  I was so proud to see this as we have not exactly been seeing the best sharing skills with each other or other children.
  • Maggie reading me a book - an amazing story about Thomas but what really caught me off guard was how she would look at the picture then tell the story, complete with "then one day..."  I almost cried.
  • Reading Halloween stories to my older children.  I haven't been able to have a lot of time with them since the babies were born so to be asked to sit down for storytime and read to them was the AMAZING change of plans I never saw coming. 
My Maggie has my passion for reading books and I love it. 

I was all set to head out and be depressed about trying on clothes, instead I got to eat pizza, watch the Redlegs, witness some sharing skills in action and most of all spend quality time with my kids.  Notice I haven't mentioned the hard parts of crying babies or mean 2 year olds - the good times definitely outweigh the hard times!
That my friends is what I will call a quality Friday night change of plans! 

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts, Trina! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trina,

    You are excellent at finding the blessings when plans change. You have a real knack for finding the silver lining. You have a beautiful family! You go, Girl!

    ReplyDelete