"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about!"

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Never forget 9-11-01

I will never forget 9-11-01 nor did I ever imagine I would live through something my children will learn about in their history books.

I was working as a sales rep at Kraft Foods.  Matt was working for Morgan Stanley as a financial planner. 
I had a normal day that started in the stores about 7:30 am, Matt was on his way to Chicago for some training. 
The first plane hit the tower, the news coverage began and my day ended.  I called Matt, he had landed in Chicago and was on the train to downtown and knew nothing about what was going on.  This was hard because about a month and a half earlier he was there - working for two weeks on the 43rd floor of the World Trade Center and he had co-workers who were there at that moment. 

It was all just a shock.  Could something like this really be happening?  A plane into the World Trade Center, now the Pentagon really?  I couldn't stand being on the road anymore not being able to see the TV coverage so I headed into the office for a bit.  At the office everyone was like me, in a daze, not wanting to do anything but go home.  So home I went. 
Luckily Matt and his co-workers were able to get a car and started the drive home.  I watched the coverage for a while but then needed a break so I mowed our yard.   I know a strange thing to do but I needed to do something normal for I remember visiting Matt there and so many things were going thru my head...
What about the two ladies I saw each day getting off the elevator for lunch?  What about the ladies who waited on me when I shopped at The Children's Place below the towers?  Did they make it out?  Were there any school tours going on at that point because there were while I was there visiting Matthew? 
Was my college roommate Heather okay?  Would New York and the United States ever recover from this tragedy?  How are those families going to cope without their moms, dads, brothers, sisters and friends?

As the stories of the heroes began to come out over the next couple of weeks I have never been more amazed at how America pulled together in her time of need.

Matthew and I had the chance to go back last October to see for ourselves that yes New York is recovering.  I can't explain it but people seem nicer, they have slowed down a bit and it definitely looks weird without those two massive towers in the skyline.
At Ground Zero working on the reflection pools that will become the memorial
We went to ground zero.  It was eerie, and there were tears in my eyes as all of those questions of that day came back to my mind.  I realized that my kids will be able to share a piece of history with their classes on day, we kept Matt's badge from his 2 weeks there, I have a letter he mailed me from there, and I have the directions he wrote me on how to take the subway from the hotel to the World Trade Center.
Some of the firefighters who were there and worked the disaster the day of and for many days after.  We met them while having some drinks!
I will never know what became of those folks who I saw for the 3 days that I visited Matthew there but I can tell you that I am proud to be an American and I a very grateful for all of those who have continue to provide for my freedom and who gave their lives for our freedom.
  
We am grateful to Matt and Hien for getting married in Connecticut and giving us an excuse to get back to NYC to visit Ground Zero, enjoy our anniversary and to experience the city again.
That was a day that the world stood still and I hope that we never have to experience another day like that my children's lifetime. 
The fire station outside of our hotel and their remembrance of the day

:I will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment