"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about!"

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Your Great Grandparents are just that GREAT!

Well kids I have to apologize in advance, I had the hopes of scanning in some fabulous photos of your great grandparents but because I can't get the scanner to work and have no idea what I did with the CD for it those photos will have to wait.  However, being that we are celebrating Grandparents this week I wanted to make sure to share with you a little bit about these great folks who produced amazing grandparents for you.

Great Grandma and Grandpa Horstman - Mary Ann and John, they met when Grandpa lived with Grandma's mom while he worked on a bridge near St. Leon, Grandma wasn't living at home but her sisters were and they knew he would be a great catch for their older sister.  So they were married on November 24, 1938.  They built a house in St. Leon that Memaw Donna and Papaw Chris now live in and had 9 children, 8 of which are still living.  Little Johnny died at a young age but you have met all the other children and we are lucky enough to see them at the holidays and for big family occasions.
Grandpa was born on February 20,1907 and Grandma was 10 years younger born August 19, 1917.  They had an amazing life together and were such a joy as Grandparents.  Your Aunt Erica and I used to stay with them on occasion and we always played Rummy with grandma, listened to the Reds on 700 WLW and had ham sandwiches for lunch.  I remember "helping" to make grape jelly (oh I miss that jelly), applesauce and corn for the winter.  Plus the cookies, oh the cookies, I am thankful your Memaw knows how to make those and hope to learn myself.  Those are some of my best memories as a little girl, spending time with them.  We always went to their house for holidays and got to see all of our cousins, aunts and uncles. Still to this day we get together there on the holidays and they are great gatherings that I hope continue forever as I can't imagine not having them.  Sadly Grandpa departed this world on January 14, 2000 and Grandma on March 18, 2002, the year daddy and I were married.  Grandma never made it to our wedding but I know she was there.  We have a ring that you girls can hopefully wear on your wedding day that I think all of us girls have worn since she passed.  It is beautiful and really makes you realize that she really is there with you.   I miss them a ton and they would have loved seeing you grow and truly enjoyed the fun you bring to our lives!

Great Grandma and Grandpa Ramey - Mary and Robert.  Great Grandma Ramey is a twin so when I first told her I was having twins she was thrilled, the second time she couldn't believe it but loves every moment of it.  They lived in Aurora and were married on June 14, 1947, they have 3 kids, your grandpa Jerry, Uncle Butch and Aunt Janice.
I don't know a whole lot about Grandpa and he was in a nursing home for all of my life but I remember going there to visit him and seeing him smile when we would walk into the room.  Unfortunately he passed away when I was young on June 24, 1987, which is Cale and Mallory's birthday. 
Great Grandma moved in with her twin sister, Great Aunt Marie, they live in Lawrenceburg in a crooked house and have a beautiful yard.  They both love shopping for you and enjoy our visits.  We are lucky to have them in our lives and they love you all very much.  Neither of them ever forget to send a card for all occasions and Grandma always went on vacation with us when we were little.  There are so many great memories of those trips that I will cherish forever. 
Granny Cool and Great Grandpa McCool - Papaw Casey's parents.  These two amazing people were married on November 28, 1942, which is Caden and Maggie's birthday!  They went on to have a HUGE family of 11 children, all of their names start with the letter "C" and they are each amazing people who love you all.  This big family fit right in with what mommy was used to, holiday gathering and being close to cousins.  You are loved by all of the cousins and their kids and you especially enjoy Connor, Drew, Brady, Spencer and Mason as they are the ones you get to see the most. 
I never got to meet Grandpa McCool - Milton, was born on June 24th yes Cale and Mallory's birthday and sadly as he passed away on February 19, 1986, when daddy was in 4th grade.  I hear he was an amazing person who called daddy "Matt the Brat". Your papaw Casey looks just like him and we are thrilled that we could produce the first McCool great grand children to carry on the name, no pressure boys! 
Granny Cool - L'Jeanne but don't call her that, just Jeanne please was an absolute blast to be around was born on July 25th, which is ironically the 6 month mark to Christmas a season she loved.  She loved shopping and went every Sunday with your aunts, she started Christmas shopping the day after Christmas, she sent her Christmas cards out to arrive the day after Thanksgiving and she never missed a birthday! She was thrilled that we had two sets of twins, as she always wanted to have twins and she really wanted Cale and Mallory's names to sound alike but I hope that she is happy with the girls and boys sounding alike as daddy and I couldn't agree on anything else.  Sadly, granny passed on March 11, 2010, I am sorry she didn't get to meet you Mallory and Cale, but she would of loved you and you would have loved her. 
The McCools are an amazing family that I am blessed to be a part of and I know you all will enjoy being a part of for your entire life.

Great Grandma and Grandpa Potter - Lois and Don, Memaw Jo's mom and dad.  These two people have done a lot in their lives.  They were married September 23, 1955 and had two children, memaw and her brother Bill, he lives in AZ with his family but we see them every once in a while.   Grandma had a passion for sewing and worked at Aurora Casket Company.  Grandpa worked for Schneley and for a while lived in Louisville working and commuting home each weekend.  They came from Pennsylvania but lived in Lawernceburg for most of Memaw's life. 
Unfortunately Grandma had fought cancer and had a stroke, which changed her life.  This was all right before I met her but she was still an amazing person and full of life.  She was still sewing and I know she would have sewn tons for you all.  I really miss that she can't be here to see you, sadly she passed away on August 8, 2007 right before I had Caden and Maggie.  Daddy talks about all the times he spent at their house, eating ice cream and watching Dukes of Hazard and I know he has many fabulous memories of Great Grandma that we will forever cherish.
Big Papaw, as Caden started calling him, is still here and visits you almost everyday.  He has helped us a ton with house projects and is always up for trips and outings with us.  He is retired now but still enjoys golfing, he golfs a lot!  Daddy always guilt him into taking him and Adam to the race track and will do the same for you all anytime I am sure.  He lights up when you run to him and you make his day.  You definitely love Big Papaw and we are very blessed he is here to be such a big part of your lives.

Now we aren't done yet.  As we have to mention Great Grandma Jeanette and Papaw Nick, Papaw Chris's mom and dad. 
Great Grandma Jeanette is just thrilled to brag to all of her friends about the two sets of twins.  She lives in Rising Sun in a retirement community and is very active.  She enjoys visiting with you all and never forgets your birthdays or holidays. 
Papaw Nick likes to tease you, Caden you will forever be called "little Matt" and he and Barbie are always up for visiting with you all! 

Well my kiddos, this one is long but these great people who have made a mark on your lives and they deserve it!  I promise one day I will figure out this scanner and upload some more photos.  I hope my stories are accurate.  And no I didn't put on pictures with only the boys on purpose I can't find the ones I wanted with the rest of you but I will keep looking.
I hope my stories are accurate.  I will rely on your great aunts to help me out with any errors as I am sure there are some but I thought it was important for you to at least know a little bit about each of them. 
As always my children, keep us smiling and thank you for making the world a better place by being in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment